Best. Corn Muffins. Ever.
It makes me queasy putting an entire stick of butter into anything, not to mention the bacon and cheese, but these corn muffins really are yummy and quite filling. They're good for breakfast, with soup for lunch, and with various dinner meals.
Bacon-Scallion Corn Muffins with Cheddar Cheese
[from Cook's Illustrated]
1. Heat oven to 400. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. Grate 8 oz. cheddar cheese (2 cups) & set aside. Fry 3 slices bacon cut into pieces in a small skillet until crisp and brown, about 5 minutes. Add 10 to 12 scallions, sliced thin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper; cook to heat through, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a plate to cool.
3. Whisk 2 cups of flour, 1 cup cornmeal, 1.5 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda to combine.
4. In another bowl, whisk 2 eggs until well combined and light colored. Add 1/2 sugar, whisk until thick and homogenous. Add 1 stick of melted butter in 3 additions. Add 3/4 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup milk and whisk until combined. Add 1.5 cups of cheese and bacon/scallion mixture. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Drop in mounds into muffin tin and sprinkle with rest of cheese. Bake until light golden brown and skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes.