Inspired by the recent report by the Institute of Food Technologists on the top 10 emerging food trends (which includes "quick fixes", "drive-and-go", and "layered flavors"), here are my top 10 food trends:
1. Avocados - Raw, cooked, mashed into chickens, it's all good.
2. Port wine - You've seen the experiments. All successful. So we'll just keep going with it.
3. Portabella mushrooms - The bigger, the funnier. But always tasty, especially when combined in some way with aforementioned port wine.
4. Roasted vegetables - Asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, you name it, they've been getting oven-roasted and coming out the yummier for it.
5. Muffins - Cook up a dozen on Sunday, and Foodgoat has breakfast for the whole week.
6. Medjool dates - Chewy, sweet, and look like giant raisins. Hee!
7. Roasted, salted sunflower seeds - I can eat 'em by the handful. When the nut lady ran out ran out of them last week I almost cried.
8. Grilling - The snow's gone (we think)! Fire! Fire! Fire!
9. Chicken sausage - Sure it sounds funny, but the chicken apple turned out to be good.
10. Wax paper sandwich bags - Microwavable and biodegradable. It is Earth Day on Friday, after all.