So while this is a good time for being with family and immersing GoatSpawn in the joys of wrapping paper ripping and new toys, it is also a good time to do something good for those who have not been so fortunate.
One small way to do this is by donating to Menu of Hope.
Each December for the past 6 years, food bloggers worldwide have raised money in the Menu for Hope raffle. This year the raffle is supporting the UN World Food Programme, the world’s largest food aid agency, and its Purchase for Progress program, which enables smallholder and low-income farmers to supply food to WFP’s global operations, helping farmers improves farming practices and puts more cash directly into their pockets in return for their crops. This will also help buoy local economy by creating jobs and income locally.
For every $10 donated, you earn one virtual ticket to bid on an item donated by a food blogger worldwide.
So you not only support a good cause, but you have a chance some really wonderful and unique prizes that any foodie would love. In making my donation, here are a few of the items I had my eye on:
- The SousVide Supreme, offered by Steamy Kitchen (do I want this new kitchen appliance, just like everybody else? Yes I do!)
- Vanilla package, offered by Vanilla Garlic (175 vanilla beans of 7 different varieties!)
- A Year of Bernachon Chocolate Bars, offered by Lucy's Kitchen Notebook (a new chocolate every month? yum!)
- an afternoon of foraging with Langdon Cook in Seattle, offered by Fat of the Land (it doesn't sound glamorous, but it does sound fun, and I'd never forage by myself!)
- The Grand Tasting Menu+wine pairings for two at Michelin 2-star Manresa, AND a tour of the restaurant's biodynamic garden at Love Apple Farm, offered by Chez Pim (now this sounds glamorous and fun)